15 September, 2012

Two mixed media pieces today



"Drained" is 12 x 6 inches, mixed media on paper. I was cutting up beets to grill, and wanted to see what the juice would be like as a color on paper.  Though most of the beet stains are under many layers of pen, pencils, and acrylic washes now, the shapes of the stains on the paper inspired the creatures.



I finished another even smaller piece tonight that, so far, I'm calling "Come Along."  I have not yet uploaded it to Red Bubble.  I do a lot of drawings that are never uploaded, it would just get to be too many to manage!  It's the many little drawings like this that will end up in my Affordable Art collection.

No particular meaning was in mind when these started, but in "Drained," the idea of the creatures on the bottom of an ocean or bathtub when another creature pulled the plug began to emerge about half way through it.  It's been interesting reading comments on it about possible meanings.  I really enjoy hearing interpretations, and there is no one "right" meaning you must "get."

Adding a balloon changes everything.  

In "Come Along," I just started sketching the yellow creature's head tonight, with a ballpoint pen, and it took on a life of its own within a few minutes.  Between making dinner, watching our birds, talking to my husband, watching a little TV, I would work on it a little bit.  The background is a colorless blender, (basically an uncolored colored pencil, it's mostly wax), with a transparent acrylic wash over it.  Most of the creatures is ballpoint pen but they also have a little transparent wash on them.

Sometimes I just like to add a senseless balloon and see what happens.  Below are two more drawings with (senselessly added) balloons, suddenly giving it a whole new dimension, and many new possible meanings, as well as some plain old absurdity. Both of these are from last year.

"Black Balloon," 6 x 6 inches, white colored pencil on black paper.


"Sinister,"  9 x 11 inches, colored pencils on brown paper, with black acrylic paint background.



(All work © Cindy Schnackel, all rights reserved.  See my Red Bubble profile page for more information. Thanks!)